Wednesday, October 30, 2013

"This Old House" - Collingwood Version

  I will be the first one to admit that I like “projects.”  Projects of all types, business projects, volunteer & community projects and projects around my home and cottage both indoors and out.  I am an fan of home renovation shows both from a personal interest standpoint but also because of my real estate business.  Often, clients are looking for ideas or are asking questions about a home they may be considering and it helps to have some construction and renovation knowledge.  I am also fortunate to have been born with some natural skills which were further developed in my youth working with two of my uncles that were carpenter contractors.  I am just finishing a renovation of my kitchen done with my own hands and skills which I will elaborate on in a future post, with before and after photos.

  Almost daily I see and marvel at the scope of a "project" that someone has undertaken with a property in Collingwood.  The house in question sold in early 2012 and I had the opportunity to show the property to clients prior to that.  The property in question “was” a lovely century or so old six bedroom, 3.5 bath red brick home. It had received at some point, a family room addition somewhat contemporary in design which to me was totally out of character with the rest of the house.  In total it was over 3,000 square feet, it had a double car garage and an in-ground swimming pool.  This is the before photo.

  The buyer(s) of this home obviously like “projects” as well.  The house has been gutted including removing the entire the original roof structure.  The double car garaged?  Gone!  The in-ground swimming pool?  Gone!  Once the demolition work was completed, all that remained of the house was the four brick walls of the home's original footprint.

   Notwithstanding the obvious cost, this is a project of a magnitude that few would have the intestinal fortitude and or patience to undertake.  It would in fact make for a great home renovation TV show that could runs for weeks.  I commend the buyers taking on such a project and for preserving a piece of Collingwood’s history.  Too often older homes especially in places like Toronto, are bought, leveled and replaced with something while lovely, often lacks the character of the home they replaced.   

  It will be interesting to watch this “project” as it progresses.  Having been in the home previously, I would be delighted to have the opportunity to view the finished product.  If not, it may very well end up as a story in one of the area’s numerous magazines. 

No comments:


Contact Me

Royal LePAGE Locations North (Brokerage)

330 First Street, Collingwood, ON L9Y 1B4



Email:
rickcrouch@propertycollingwood.com



Direct: 705-443-1037



Office: 705-445-5520 ext 230




Website:
www.rickcrouch.realtor















My Profile