Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Summer Long Weekends, Real Estate Boom or Bust?

With the somewhat cool wet weather we have been having in recent weeks it’s easy to forget we are more than halfway through June.  The Canada Day long weekend is looming on the horizon and many of those with homes to sell may be looking to their REALTORS® for open houses.

  When I first entered the real estate field many years ago, I often viewed the long weekends as ideal opportunities to hold open houses at my listings.  I’d busy myself setting a schedule of properties to show and placed ads in the local papers.  The result?  Time and time again I’d sit there, the weather outside was beautiful, no one came in and I’d say to myself what’s happening?

  After a couple of years of the same results, I came to the conclusion that when it came to long weekends in the summer, real estate was at the bottom of everyone’s agenda.  Essentially I learned that the long weekends is a time for families to enjoy the time together especially in this area where we have many recreational amenities to partake in.  Whether it’s going to the beach, hiking or biking on the area’s various trails, playing golf or whatever, real estate open houses have a lot of competition.

  As it turns out, this is not a phenomena unique to this area.  I follow the activities and blogs a couple of high profile, successful U.S. REALTORS® that I have met in recent years.  Just this past week one of them mentioned that the three slowest weekends for real estate in the U.S. are Memorial Day, the 4th of July and Labour Day.  Having lived in the U.S. for four years I wasn’t surprised.  Memorial Day offers the Indy 500.  The 4th of July?  Well what can I say, we all know how patriotic Americans are and the 4th of July is typically a four day weekend.  As far as Labour Day?  It’s the end of the summer, kids are heading back to school etc. so it’s not surprising that real estate takes a back seat to these other priorities.


  If you are currently a home seller and your REALTOR® is looking to hold an open house on the upcoming July long weekend go ahead.  Far be it for me to discourage you or them but don’t be surprised if they have less than stellar attendance from the public.

No comments:


Contact Me

Royal LePAGE Locations North (Brokerage)

330 First Street, Collingwood, ON L9Y 1B4



Email:
rickcrouch@propertycollingwood.com



Direct: 705-443-1037



Office: 705-445-5520 ext 230




Website:
www.rickcrouch.realtor















My Profile